Helen Britton

If you enjoy British occultism, along the lines of Cornish paganism or Pre-christian folk art, and psychedelia then Helen Britton is for you.

There's not much reason to say anything about Helens paintings as you can read them for yourself like a book. Absolutely laden with tried and tested occult symbolism and sometimes developing new language through loading new meaning into folklore. Everything Helen does looks new and old at the same time, keeping feet in two camps that are drifting in different directions. You'd believe me if I told you that she made these in the 60's, or 80's, or yesterday, or shes reworking some medieval piece.


Although all her paintings stand alone, whenever I see them I feel they should be attached to a story or LP or some philosophers zine. As though these pieces exist attached to an unseen world of folklore and mysticism. I say that, however I don't personally know where these pieces exist outside of the internet. I know very little about Helen Britton.


Wouldn't you just love to know what a nightmare in Helen Britton's world is like? I bet there's a warm reverie in those nightmares that keep you there despite knowing fine well you don't belong there nor here.


You can see more of Helen Britton's work over at https://www.facebook.com/HelenJennerArtist/

Comments